Minutes of the Richard Sugden Library Trustees Meeting
June 11, 2018
In attendance: Cheryl A. Donahue, Director, Deborah Kirk, Children’s Librarian
Trustees: Mary Anne Slack, Amy Paul, Lynn Dobson, chair
Children’s Librarian’s Report:
- CFC programs have continued on Thursdays.
- In spite of no planned programming this month, there were 181 passive visits by children.
- Debbie and Katie will go to WVS to promote the summer reading program, “Libraries Rock.”
- The library will have a Pop Up Library at Luther Hill Park this summer while swimming lessons are taking place.
- Katie is taking four courses in Basic Library Techniques.
- Cheryl visited DPHS on May 15th to promote library services. She issued 26 new library cards to students.
- The library hosted an appreciation reception for library volunteers on May 24th. Every volunteer attended. Each volunteer was given a copy of Frank Morrill’s book, Spencer Through Time.
- The Spencer Writer’s Group was featured on the front page of the New leader on June 1st. The group has grown and members were presented with writing journals.
- Denise, Cheryl and Linda participated in several professional development workshops and webinars in May. Katie and Denise attended the MLA conference in Framingham.
- The full-time Children’s Librarian/Assistant Library Director was posted internally through Spencer departments. Katie Kristoff met with the town administrator to review her resume. Trustees have agreed to hire Katie for this position. As soon as it is confirmed, the part-time Children’s Room assistant position will be posted.
- Local historian Frank Morrill presented a program on Spencer history and signed copies of his book. 80 people attended.
- On May 15th the carpeting in the lower level entryway was soaked due to a sudden, heavy rainstorm. The outside drain was unable to accommodate the water flow. The custodian took care of the drainage and carpeting problems.
- Patricia Mayotte cleaned the upper level carpeting.
- The compressor for the A/C unit must be replaced at a cost of $9000. Town funds will pay for the replacement.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:35 PM. The next meeting will be July 9. 2018 at 4:30 PM.