Minutes of the Richard Sugden Library Trustees Meeting
October 21, 2019
In attendance: Cheryl A. Donahue, Director, Katie Smith, Children’s Librarian, Lynn Dobson, Rebekah Salamack, Mary Anne Slack, trustees
The meeting was called to order at 4:30 PM. The minutes of the September meeting were read.
M. Slack made a motion to accept them, seconded by R. Salamack. The vote was unanimous.
Report of the Children’s Librarian:
- Community Connections is now providing two weekly programs. Attendance is good at both programs. K. Smith attended the Community Connections meeting and may assist with collecting sign language videos for their use.
- Paws and Pages is being held on the last Thursday of the month.
- Story Times are held on Tuesdays. Toddler program is 10:00 to 10:45, Pre-K is 11:00 to 12:00.
- The library hosted Big Truck Day on October 15th. A firetruck, police car, ambulance, construction vehicle and the people who drive them were in the library parking lot. This was attended by 10 toddlers, 20 preschoolers and their caregivers.
- Teen Mania is going strong, running on Mondays from 3:30-4:30.
- The Haunted History Walk was held on Saturday, October 19th. 50 people attended the afternoon show and 82 attended the evening show.
- Ten teen participants attended the pendant making program with Ms. Patricia.
- Imagination Station continues. Diane Johnson is volunteering on Wednesdays to lead a craft program for K-5 called “Crafternoon.”
- Library staff are working on a literacy program called “We Read.” It will be offered in the Spencer and E. Brookfield kindergartens.
- Staff continues to weed the collection and add new materials.
- K. Smith will attend Educator’s Night on October 22nd at the Eric Carle Museum as well as the final BLT class on the 25th.
- A kombucha making class took place on September 19th with 15 participants.
- A performance featuring women of the Revolutionary War was held on September 23rd.
- A photographer presented Quabbin Watershed wildlife on 9/26 with 20 attendees.
- The Historical Society conducted a program about school days on 10/10 with 30 attendees.
- Local author Wendy O’Leary’s book launch of “Breathing Makes it Better” was hosted by the library on 9/17. 40 people attended.
- The new library page, Samantha Busold, started working on October 1st.
- Boiler installation has been completed and they are functioning.
- The new front doors were installed on 9/24.
- New Hot Spots have been added for patron use on a first-come-first-served basis.
The meeting was adjourned at 5:20 PM. The next meeting is scheduled for Monday, November 18th at 4:30 PM.